Snohomish Carnegie

Snohomish, wa

OWNER:

City of Snohomish

Square footage:

4,800 SF 

construction BUDGET:

$2,000,000

completion:

Fall 2020

Historic photo and 1968 Addition photo

 

The Snohomish Carnegie Library was originally built in 1909, and in 1968, an addition greatly enlarged the library space but also greatly diminished the original architecture.  The library moved out of the building in 2003 and the historic structure had a roof and seismic upgrade in 2013 with funding from FEMA, among other sources.  In 2017, ARC was hired to restore the original building design while creating more functional community spaces that meet current codes and amenities.  With public input from many groups, including the local Snohomish Carnegie Foundation, the design evolved to include reconstruction of the original stairs that were demolished in 1968, while including ADA lift access to both levels. 


Accord Contractors won the low-bid and construction started in November 2019.  It was very exciting to see the historic structure revealed from behind the 1968 addition.  The original entry, precast details, and tile work were uncovered.  The original windows were repainted to the original dark red, which matches the terracotta tiles creating banding around the building.  The Snohomish Foundation chose the ‘hubbard squash’- yellow paint color and together we choose the darker mustard color for the base and stairs. It has been a true team effort from advocacy and fundraising to design and construction and restoration of woodwork.

 
Website Design